Thursday, February 5, 2009

Counting down to the beginning of buttery goodness...

This was my last week of "freedom" before I start class on Monday so I tried to take advantage of my free time. Went out for drinks and jazz music with Laura on Tuesday night and she introduced me to what she calls Paris' own "Daytona Beach," Rue de Lappe, in the Bastille area. It's a street lined with bars, restaurants, clubs, and people looking to have a good time. We talked about how we wish there was a French equivalent to the words "random" and "sketchy."




Guitar player in the bar

On my way home from "Daytona Beach," I saw the funniest thing on the metro. People tend to think that Americans eat a lot of fast food but let me tell you, here, there is always a line at McDonalds and KFC is pretty popular too, as evidenced by the photo. Nothing like seeing a well dressed French man eating fried chicken wings out of a KFC bag on the metro! 




I went walking around Paris on Wednesday night to take some pictures and get some fresh air. During my walk three people asked me for directions and I was able to help one of them. Kind of funny that people assume I know where I'm going when I just moved here and have to look at a map myself every 10 minutes. 



Sacre Coeur - Montmartre


Paris Opera Garnier

La Madeleine - Church

Eiffel tower from Place de la Concorde

I woke up Friday morning and thought I was dreaming when I checked my French bank account and saw money in it. Thank God for student loans! Most of you know this already, but when I arrived in France I found out that my student loans had been denied because the process my school told me to go through was all wrong. I freaked out because I had to start the whole loan process again and with mail between the US and France being temperamental on occasion, I wasn't sure when everything would be processed. Luckily, things went smoothly and I can stop worrying about that...Woohoo! 

Due to the fluctuating weather, my sinuses have decided to go on strike (much like the French recently). Enter the French pharmacy...you can walk in, tell them your symptoms and they'll give you drugs, just like that! Ok, maybe it doesn't work like this all the time and it probably depends on what type of medicine you need, but I was happy that I didn't have to sign my name and present my driver's license to get pseudoephedrine. So, I'm taking medicine and praying that my sinuses cooperate because tomorrow is....THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS! So exciting...will definitely give an update tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment